Monday, February 11, 2008

What are they??


This week I think that I am going to take a different approach to my blog and tell you about steroids and what they are actually. I think this is good because some people are not well informed about them and some of the damage that they can do to you, so that you don't get caught up in them so that your life could potentially be messed up.

Anabolic Steroids are a synthetic version of testosterone which is the male horomone. They are drugs which have very many side effects that cause psychological and physical effects. The psychological effects are edginess, impatience, "roid rage" which is basically violent outbursts. Also can cause severe mood swings towards depression.



General physical effects are liver and kidney damage, increased blood pressure and cholesterol, a higher risk of infections, nosebleeds, headaches and stomachaches, etc. Those are just general for anyone one who takes them, but for women, men, and teens they are much different. Men suffer from enlarged breasts, shrinkage of the testicles, low sperm count, increased sex drive but a decrease in erectile function. For women they receive growth of facial hair, deepend voice, male pattern baldness, enlargement of clitoris, infertility, and abnormail menstrual period. And in teens they have stunted growth and severe acne.

4 comments:

Money Maker said...

wow thanks for the info, i knew that striods caused problems but not to that extent. this post has been very help full thanks.heres a link that can help other teens to not use steriods.

http://www.kidshealth.org/teen/food_fitness/sports/steroids.html

ssr said...

Interesting post - currently a lot of controversy surrounding the subject and not much is known, especially the long-term effects. However, anabolics are prescribed under certain circumstances and with them being readily available, I don't know how to keep it out of the hands of those who are willing to pay for it. More information on Human Growth Hormone: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Growth_hormone_treatment

dearthvader said...

I have an odd "roid rage" story. Last summer I was at cedar point with some friends. We were waiting on several people by the restroom when we noticed a guy jogging with a girl. They both had absolutely huge swartzineger (don't know how to spell that) like muscles. I innocently walked up to the water fountain to get a drink, totally unaware of the storm headed my way. As I started to walk away from he water fountain, got shoved really hard from behind. I initially thought that it was one of my friends that were in the restroom just being an asshole. Unfortunately it wasn't. I turned around to find myself (a skinny nerdy white kid) staring at a man who looked like he was off an espn daytime body building contest and his girl (who could probably have bench pressed me). I was in shock. I really wasn't scared because I thought, if this guy is serious and I live through whatever was going on, I will feel like a badass just surviving a beat down from him. And if I die at least I’m at cedar point, so I’ll die happy. He said to me "you got a problem"! I didn't know what to say. Luckily a security guy happened to see him push me. Two officers came up to us before anything happened, they took him aside to calm the guy down. Then they talked to me. They basically told me the guy was crazy (from drugs), and that his girlfriend told him that she saw us looking at them and talking about them. Partially true I guess, because when we saw them jogging I commented on how ripped the guy was. Nothing negative though. Really crazy though, he was so crazy he felt that it was necessary to attack me over nothing really.

Cap'n Fatback said...

Good, Steamboat, although it would have been nice to frame this post with some conclusion about these details. Do you hope that those who weren't as aware of the harmful effects of anabolic steroid abuse will be discouraged by what they read and look to seeing the drugs as bad?

Wild story, Dearth. I am always saddened when people turn to physical methods as a first response to resolve conflict.